Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reflections Rooms

sr0
Hi guys! Last week I went to Siem Reap, Cambodia to design a hotel room for Reflections. They are these boutique hotels where every room is designed by a different artist- you can check out some of the Bangkok rooms here and here.

It's been a fantastic experience and I'm grateful to my buddy Jim to introducing me to the owner, P'Nong. I'm back in Bangkok now but I'm not quite finished with my room-- I'm working on a couple of paintings to send over there. It feels great to be back in the painting saddle again. I'm realizing that I feel most happy and serene when I have a brush in my hand and paint all over my elbows.

Okay, so here's some of the work I did when I was there.


sr2

...And now in color!
sr3

This is where the TV is going to be.
sr4

...And now in color!
sr5

Ta da.
sr6

Remember, "when in doubt, draw any random thing you can think of". I experienced a lot of doubt and second-guessing and moments of paralyzing fear when I was there, due to the fact that I hadn't completely thought my room through, but I think it worked out okay.

There's this one wall I painted, though, that I absolutely hated and won't even bother posting the finished result. I am posting this picture though, just as a profound-looking "artist in action" photo, bra strap and all.

sr1

I guess my ~concept~ was "stuff a cat might fantasize about".

sr9

sr10

sr11

sr12

I'm working on a painting to hang above and to the right of this sleeping cat, of a dog peeping in through a window. This is where the bed is going to be.

sr13

And there is some "cat in space" action next to the shower.

sr15

I had a little bit of assistance with the more tedious parts. The owner helpfully sent some dudes over to help us work, but I'm such a control freak that I just let my new friend Paula paint the background before suggesting "why don't you take a break" in as friendly a tone of voice as I could muster.

sr7

Here's the finished result!

sr8

I also got to paint this on the outside of P'Nong's restaurant. The place is called Lucky Sixth so I drew the most six-shaped animal I could think of.

sr16

Hooray!

sr17

That's all for now. I'll post the paintings when I finish them. I'm really excited to share those with you. You can see more pictures of the room here and some photos of my other Siem Reap adventures here.